I'm Mike, an educator with 45 years in classrooms and school leadership, from India to the UAE. This

Friday, 20 March 2015

House hold helps way back then

There are two household hold helps when I was a kid in Allahabad that  I remember vividly.
The First was  Needle ayah. Yes a strange name indeed and if you can't guess its origin let me tell you - She was as skinny as a needle
 I was probably 5 or so but I knew a skinny person when I saw one . She was  only in her 60's ( I calculated that much later ) but  as  I was only  5 she looked 80 !
She was responsible for the sweeping , swabbing , tidying up , making the beds and washing the clothes as far as I remember . She also spent a lot of time talking to me and others in the house .
She never lived with us - I guess she lived somewhere close by as she arrived at the crack of dawn and was there till late in the evening .
I guess she was also good at pressing feet as that is one of the things I often saw her doing .
Then there was BOY the cook
I was about 12 when he first started working in the house .
Why he was called BOY I could never fathom because he was an old man - probably about 65 at the time - but for a 12 year old 65 is as good as 80 ! ( I was later informed that many male servants were called boy )
He wore a white turban , was clean shaven and very clean.
As we lived in the railway colony - this was way back in the 60's-  he occupied an out house - behind the house . He just had just one tin trunk - guess he was a poor man like most house hold helps in those days .
Boy was an early riser  like Needle Ayah. Often when I entered the kitchen early in the morning , the fire was already lit ( no gas back in those days ) , the tea was ready - often served in bed - and breakfast was on the way to the dining table .
I often sat on my haunches watching him light the fire - it was fascinating the way he placed the coal , struck the match - lit some paper and gently blew till it caught ....... soon it was ablaze .
BOY was one of those old faithful's . He worked for us for about 15 years or more and cooked some fantastic dishes .
Jhal Frezi , Vindaloo, ball curry and yellow rice, Irish stew ,  mulligatawny, cutlets, croquets and many more - he was a good cook .   He was also a chutney and salad expert and for every meal there was a salad or a chutney.
He also went shopping for provisions , was responsible for laying the table , serving the food and washing the dishes thereafter .
BOY was a story teller too and often when I was left at home he kept me busy with stories of animals , thieves and journeys - I guess most of the were made up on the spur of the moment but they sure amused me .
Now thinking back he was  probably actually older because his head shook when he talked and on a few occasions he saw me imitating him and looked annoyed !.
No clue when Needle Ayah and BOY stopped working with us  - When I reminisce - they just stopped coming  one day and I don't even know if I missed them .
Great days in Allahabad indeed.


 

1 comment:

Asha Perinchery said...

You have painted word pictures of Needle Ayah and Boy Cook in a very expressive way. And sure enough, such strange names!
Enjoyed your piece, Sir. Keep writing and yes, sharing. 😊