Pages

Saturday, 19 September 2026

Keep it simple

 Morning reflection - Keep it SIMPLE


One thing I’ve always tried to do, both at work and in life, is keep things simple.


But sometimes I find myself listening to someone, nodding along, while thinking, “I really haven’t understood what they’re saying!” And I wonder, why do we make things so complicated?


This morning I came across a quote that caught my attention: “Peace of mind comes from simplifying life.” It immediately resonated with me.


When I speak to teachers and leadership teams, particularly through Bright Sparks, our GEMS programme for emerging young leaders, I often talk about clear communication. Say what you mean. Write so people understand. There’s no need to wrap a simple point in layers of jargon or complicated language.


And there’s certainly no need to use big words just to sound impressive. I always joke that there’s no need for all of us to try to be Shashi Tharoor when it comes to the English language!


I think the same applies to life. We already have enough to deal with without making things harder than they need to be.


As I get a little older, I find peace in wonderfully ordinary things. Sitting and playing with my cat, even talking to her as though she understands me. Picking up my guitar and playing for a while. Or watching yet another rerun of Friends — probably for the nth time — and still laughing at the same jokes.


Nothing extraordinary. Just things that make me happy.


Perhaps that’s the real lesson. We spend so much time looking for peace in the big things that we overlook the little things already giving it to us.


So, the next time you’re confused because you haven’t quite understood what someone is saying, or you’re trying to work out what they mean when giving you instructions, think of this little morning reflection of mine. Maybe think of me and have a chuckle.


Then ask yourself: “Couldn’t this have been said a little more simply?”


After all, life is complicated enough. We don’t need to help it along.

The Bishop's School, Pune

No comments: