Pages

Sunday, 19 July 2026

Never forget

 Never Forget Where You've Come From


There is one story from my younger days that I never hesitate to tell.


Allahabad, my birthplace and the city where I spent my school years, will always hold a special place in my heart. After school, I wanted to go to Lucknow to do my teacher training at Lucknow Christian College. It also meant living in the hostel. The problem was simple—I just didn't have the money.


There weren't many doors to knock on, so I approached our family priest, Father George D'Souza. He didn't ask me to fill in forms or sign papers. There was no guarantor, no signature—just my word. He trusted me enough to lend me what, in those days, was a princely sum.


Some may smile at the amount today. You could probably spend it on a couple of coffees without thinking twice. But back then, it was a considerable sum—far more than my mother could afford. More importantly, it represented something far greater than money. It was trust, given freely when I needed it most.


Once I reached Lucknow, I was fortunate to receive two small scholarships. They weren't much, but they helped pay for my hostel, food and books. Looking back, I realise my journey was made possible by the kindness of several people, each helping in their own way.


I completed my teacher training, found a job and repaid the loan in small monthly instalments. When I went to pay the final ₹250, Father George smiled and said, "Keep it. Consider the loan paid in full."


It wasn't the money I remembered. It was the trust.


That single act of kindness changed the course of my life. Had he said no, my journey might have been very different.


I've shared this story many times during leadership sessions in the UAE. Not because it's about me, but because it's about what one person can do for another. Sometimes all it takes is one person who believes in you before you can fully believe in yourself.


I've never felt embarrassed telling this story. If anything, I tell it with gratitude. Every life is shaped by people who quietly make a difference. Father George was one of those people in mine.


Life has taken me much farther than I could ever have imagined. If there's one lesson I've carried with me throughout, it's this: never forget where you've come from, and never forget those who helped you get there.


If this story inspires even one person not to give up, or encourages someone to quietly open a door for another, then Father George D'Souza's kindness will continue to touch lives long after his own. I can think of no finer tribute to him.

The Bishop's School, Pune 

The Bishop's School Alumni Association 

ALLAHABAD CIVIL LINES  NOSTALGIC MEMORIES

No comments: