THE UBER DRIVER IN ZURICH
Yesterday, something very ordinary happened. Yet I have a feeling I will remember it for a very long time.
We had just come out of a large shopping complex in Zurich. The next task seemed simple enough—get an Uber back to the hotel.
Simple? Not quite.
The place had exits everywhere. Different levels, different directions, signs that seemed to create more confusion than clarity. Finding the right pickup point felt like solving a puzzle without all the pieces.
And before anyone suggests it, no, I am not one of those people who can effortlessly move the pin on a map and place it exactly where the driver should arrive. Maps and I have maintained a respectful distance throughout my life.
I asked a few people for help. Most gave me vague directions with great confidence. There is something refreshing about someone simply saying, "Sorry, I don't know." At least you know where you stand.
Eventually, one gentleman pointed us in the right direction.
Feeling relieved, I turned around and started walking. Unfortunately, solving one problem did not mean I had become more alert. Within seconds, I almost tripped over a low stone bench and banged my shin.
A small reminder that life has a way of keeping us humble.
We stood there, bags in hand, waiting.
I booked the Uber.
Nine minutes.
When I told my wife, she gave me that look. Married couples will understand. The look that says, "After all this effort, this is your plan?"
I was carrying two shopping bags, the afternoon was warm, and I prepared myself for the wait.
Then something unexpected happened.
The nine minutes disappeared.
The screen read:
"Your driver YOHANNES is here."
The car pulled up just a few feet behind me. Two passengers stepped out.
It was my Uber.
For a moment, I simply stood there, slightly stunned.
I cannot explain why, but it felt like one of those quiet moments when life reminds you that sometimes our worries are unnecessary. We do what we can, say a silent prayer, and the answer arrives at exactly the right moment.
We got into the car.
The journey to the hotel was only about fifteen minutes. But Yohannes made those minutes memorable.
From the moment he greeted us, there was a warmth about him. No forced conversation. No artificial friendliness. Just genuine kindness.
He told us he was from Eritrea and had been living in Switzerland for almost twenty years. As we spoke, you could sense the journey behind those years. Here was a man who had worked hard to build a life for his wife and children.
There was no complaining. No bitterness. No desire to impress.
Just quiet dignity.
We spoke about families, countries, travel and life. We exchanged stories, laughed at the similarities between our experiences, and discovered how quickly strangers can connect when they simply take the time to listen.
Before long, it felt less like a passenger and a driver and more like two people who had known each other much longer.
Some people have that rare quality. They make you comfortable almost immediately. They leave you feeling that a simple conversation has somehow become meaningful.
When we reached the hotel, I gave him a tip with the small change I had in my pocket. It was not much, but it came with genuine gratitude.
Then I surprised myself.
I asked him if we could take a photograph together.
I have never done that with an Uber driver before.
We shook hands, exchanged blessings and thanks, smiled for the picture, and then he drove away.
The chances are that I will never see Yohannes again.
Yet I woke briefly during the night and found myself thinking about him.
He was also the first person who came to mind this morning.
Strange, isn't it?
Some people are part of our lives for years and leave little impression.
Others enter our story for just fifteen minutes and somehow leave a lasting mark.
Perhaps that is one of life's quiet lessons.
Every person we meet is carrying a story we know nothing about. Behind every job, every smile, every journey, there is a life filled with hopes, struggles, sacrifices and dreams.
In our busy lives, we often rush past people without ever knowing their story.
Sometimes, if we slow down long enough, we are given a glimpse.
Yesterday I booked an Uber.
What I remember today is not the ride or the destination.
I remember a man named Yohannes from Eritrea, a simple conversation, and a reminder that the most meaningful connections often come when we least expect them.
Some people leave a mark you cannot explain .
No comments:
Post a Comment