Pune, You're Amazing... One Scooter Ride Proved It
Today, for the first time in over a decade, I climbed onto the back of a scooter.
It was only a short ride. Too short to justify calling an Uber, and too far to walk comfortably. "How bad can it be?" I thought.
Those were the last sensible words that crossed my mind.
The moment we pulled away, I was transported back about twenty-five years to my days at Bishop's. Back then, my scooter carried our little family everywhere. My wife sat behind me, one of our young daughters stood in front, proudly holding the handlebars, while our other daughter squeezed between us. It never seemed unusual. Somehow, it always worked.
This time, it was a different story.
I'm no longer that young man who thought he was indestructible. I was also flying back to Dubai later that day, and the last thing I wanted was a back spasm or a bruised leg before boarding my flight.
The weather, I must admit, was glorious. There was the gentlest drizzle, the air was wonderfully cool, and for a fleeting moment I almost felt I was somewhere in the hills. The breeze on my face was delightful.
Then reality returned.
My hair was all over the place. I looked as though I had been pulled through a hedge... legs first.
Vehicles seemed to be coming from every direction. Cars honked. Buses lumbered past. Motorcycles and scooters whizzed by my legs so closely that I was tempted to tuck both feet up onto the seat.
Then the wildlife joined in. Dogs darted across the road. A herd of buffaloes ambled through as if they owned it. A cow sat calmly in the middle of the road while everyone else figured out how to get around her.
Then came the potholes.
Every bump launched me into the air. I was convinced one particularly enthusiastic pothole would send me sailing over the rider's head. I held on with rather more determination than dignity.
Meanwhile, my imagination was working overtime. What if my back suddenly went into spasm? What if I clipped my leg on a passing motorcycle? What if I dropped the little bag I was carrying and watched twenty vehicles run over it before I could retrieve it?
Amazing how many disasters the mind can imagine in a journey lasting barely five minutes.
As we bounced over potholes, crawled over speed breakers and swerved around obstacles, I couldn't help wondering whether this is one reason so many people in Pune complain of back problems.
By the time we reached our destination, I climbed off with enormous relief. I was fine, my bag was still with me, and I had acquired a whole new respect for the millions of people who negotiate Indian roads on two wheels every day.
Twenty-five years ago, riding a scooter was just another part of life.
Today, simply sitting on the back of one felt like an act of courage.
Pune, you're amazing. One scooter ride proved it.
No comments:
Post a Comment