After the rigour of Dubai, and the household chores in Pune , I desperately needed some sleep.
Outside, it was raining. Not a dramatic thunderstorm, just that gentle Pune rain that seems determined to lull you to sleep. The room was cool. The curtains had turned the afternoon into twilight. I was wrapped in that delicious, uninterrupted sleep that only comes when you've been running on empty.
I was dreaming. Chanel, our cat, was curled up on my lap, purring softly, convinced there was nowhere else in the world she needed to be. So was I.
Somewhere, far away, a phone began to ring.
At first, it drifted into my dream. I wasn't even sure it was real. It seemed distant, almost polite, as if it didn't want to disturb me. I ignored it. It rang again. By the third or fourth ring, I reluctantly accepted that this wasn't part of my dream after all.
Still half asleep, I reached for the phone. It slipped off the bed and fell to the floor. I was irritated.
We had recently bought a new television in Pune. After installation, the company sends you something called a Happy Code—a six-digit number you're expected to read out when customer care calls. Why it's called a Happy Code, I have no idea. It sounds oddly cheerful for what is really just a verification code.
An automated voice greeted me.
It then launched into a long list of prizes I could apparently win as part of some promotion. At that moment, the last thing on my mind was winning anything. I was simply trying to wake up enough to understand why I had been called in the first place. Also worried if the glass case on my phone had cracked for the nth time .
Finally, a lady came on the line. She introduced herself and, in a cheerful mix of Hindi and Marathi, said,
"Sir... say Happy Code."
I was groggy.
"I'm sorry?"
"Sir... say Happy Code."
That sounded straightforward enough.
So I replied, "Happy Code."
A pause.
Then, a little more firmly...
"Sir... say Happy Code."
Clearly she hadn't heard me. I was wide awake now.
Years of teaching and school assemblies came flooding back. I sat up, cleared my throat and, in my best teacher's voice, pronounced every syllable with textbook precision.
"HAAA...PPY... COOOODE."
If pronunciation carried marks, I'd have scored full points.
There was another pause.
Then she said, "Sir, please send 'Happy Code' on my number."
Right.
I assumed she wanted it on WhatsApp.
I opened her earlier message, typed carefully in capital letters...
HAPPY CODE
...and pressed Send.
A minute later, the phone rang again.
"Sir, I have not received it."
"Really?" I replied. "There are two blue ticks. You've definitely received it."
By now, I was wondering why she couldn't see it, and she was probably wondering why I couldn't understand such a simple request.
Eventually, her supervisor came on the line.
Very patiently he said,
"Sir... we sent you a code. A number. We need you to send that number." Then your purchase will be closed.
There was a brief silence.
Then it dawned on me.
She hadn't been asking me to say the words Happy Code. She wanted the Happy Code—the six-digit number confirming I was happy with the television and the installation so the company could close the purchase.
I couldn't help laughing. I had proudly sent the words HAPPY CODE instead of the Happy Code itself.
Two people. Speaking the same languages. Both listening. Both trying to be helpful. Yet we were having two completely different conversations.
It stayed with me because it wasn't really about televisions or codes.
It was about communication.
As leaders, parents, teachers or managers, we often explain something and assume we've been perfectly clear. The other person nods. We move on. Days later, we discover they understood something entirely different.
We then say, "But I told you."
Yes, we probably did.
But communication isn't about what we say.
It's about what the other person understands.
Leadership is not just about speaking clearly. It's about making sure you've been understood.
That rainy afternoon reminded me that before becoming frustrated with someone, it helps to ask one simple question:
"Could you tell me what you understood?"
It might save a great deal of confusion—and perhaps stop someone from proudly WhatsApping the words HAPPY CODE when all that was needed was a six-digit number.
No comments:
Post a Comment