I'm Mike, an educator with 45 years in classrooms and school leadership, from India to the UAE. This

Thursday, 23 May 2013

Friday mornings in Dubai

Friday mornings in Dubai are eerie.
The reason is - the whole of the week one is used to noise- a mad rush in the traffic- traffic jams- no place to park- shopping for groceries etc.
Then comes Friday and Dubai sleeps all morning .
Till about 11 am an eerie silence pervades the city. People sleep late- you see no wasing on the balconies ! Car parks in malls are empty- car parks in residential are full - roads are dirty usually ( even the cleaners rest I guess ) .
Everyone seems to be making the most of it.
Then at about 11 there is a stirring.
Fathers, then mothers get up and start moving around - kids usually sleep till noon or later !
Super and hyper markets start filling up - washed clothes start making their appearance - cars start moving and gradually the whole city gets into motion.
Parks fill up with those eager to make the most of the last of the cool weather .
Kids go down for a swim- most residential buildings have pools .
By afternoon its madness again
Roads are full with everyone going everywhere .
Malls are mobbed - it seems like everyone is in every mall !
Its the weekend
Its the time to unwind and enjoy.
For my part - I cant sleep late - be it a week day or a weekend.
Friday morning I am usually up by 6.30 - tea , news papers and the laptop .
Boring ??
No- relaxing - its the weekend  for me as well and I don't need to rush out
I enjoy the white space I mentioned in an earlier article- just  being alone & doing nothing official ! 

No comments: